Recently, as I was browsing thru Tastespotting , I came across the following blog Season with Spice and found a pretty interesting write up on kerabu bee hoon. I had the first taste of this dish when I was just a lil girl and grew to love it as the yrs passed by. Mum still occasionally make this simple dish for us and I thought that it would be good to learn this up while she is still around. Also, with the help of my new found blog, I manage to get some pointers too :)
It is not really a complicated dish to prepare - more of getting the required spices and herbs. Remember ~ the dish requires a lot of lime if not, it will be pretty dry. If we can't find lime, then some lemons would be a good alternative as you get more juice from it. Makes the bihun taste better ! As it was a pretty dry dish, I coupled it with a bowl of tom yam soup for the day. Came across Mak Nyonya tom yam paste and got it to make my soup. The end result~ It tasted like the ones being cooked at the Malay store - yummy ! All you need is to just add in some tomatoes, vege, mushroom and voila - it is ready to go !!
Sambal, kerisik (fried grated coconut), torch ginger(bunga kantan)- prepared by my dearest mother :)
Preparation - Kerabu Bihun

Preparation - Tom Yam Gong

The end results
Kerabu Bihun

Tom Yam Gong

Hub's comment/verdict :- Kerabu bihun was rather dry (due to the lack of juice from the calamansi lime) and all good on the tom yam !! Yippie ~ another Project 52 this week :)
5 comments:
My mouth is watering at the pic of kerabu beehoon :) Where did you get the kerisik from? Market?
Hahaha..my mum did all for me - it was all made ready by my mother. Grated coconut - my dad did for me...
I love anything that got to do with Kerabu.... but never tried to cook on my own. ur blog gave me the idea to try on my own, will try soon!! Thanks Adel!
Thanks for dropping by Sara - yeah, I thought that it was a tough dish to cook - but after trying it out - it was pretty easy :)
GREAT!! I've been actively updating my blog too :)
Post a Comment