Friday, October 3, 2008

Life Begins at 28: Delivery Ordeal

Initially, I have created this blog for my kid, however from the looks of it, I am writing more about myself rather than on him. Sigh. ...So, why did I create a blog for him ? Good q. So that, in the future, if any 'mak cik, mak cik' were to ask, I can just tell them - 'Aiyah, go tengok I punya blog-la. Everything is there. Easy kan ?' Somemore now, modern era, everything is just there for you with just one click.


Long story cut short again : Here are some entries on how he entered the world on 9th of April 2008.......ta-da ! Drum rolls....**ehem ehem** Here goes : Being a kiasi person, I was pretty excited over my pregnancy. There were 2 choices for me for delivery i.e either a C-Section or natural delivery. So, since this is a mutual decision btw hubby & wife, I had then consulted my Ah -Dear about the delivery options. I insist on C-Section but he said natural is the best. Yeah right, look at who is delivering ! Anyways, in the end, doc cakap go for natural, so I have to follow suit. But with one condition, I will need the help of epidural. The anaesthetist told us - He said 'Labour pain is very painful, so pls pls take epidural if you are a person that can't stand pain. ' Bingo !! Yes, without much thought, I decided to go for it.

My delivery ordeal began on 8th of April. You see, I have already taken a week's off prior to my delivery so that I can stay at my mum's place if anything were to happen. Heard so much horror stories about water bag breaking prior to delivery and bla bla bla.....So, everything packed, I went to my mum's place on the 8th of April. Doc and all the 'auntie auntie' say try to walk more, easier to beranak. So being an amateur myself somemore kiasi, I went for a stroll with my parents at night.



Everything was running smoothly till midnight when I started to feel slight contractions. Not wanting to disturb my parents, I slowly walked out from the room and went to the toilet. Not knowing that it is time for Baby Matthew to pop out, I thought that I wanted to pass motion. So, I gladly sat on my throne, but nothing came out.

Went back to sleep. In a lapse of 2 hrs, the contractions came again. This time, more painful. It is alike to any period pain or diarrhoea with no stools coming out. I tossed from left to right and vice versa with the hopes that I can deliver the next day. Morning came and the pain was still there - it was an interval of btw 2-3 hrs. Told my mum about it & she replied ' Girl, kia liau, time for baby to chut lai, better go see doctor '. Wah...what an answer ! Anyways, since I was already mentally and physically prepared, my mum called the hospital and I called my Ah Dear. He applied for EL and off we go(mum, hubby & me) to the hospital.



Arrived and spoke to my gynae. He did some checking and told us, 'Oh, not fully dilate yet.' I answered ' Huh, but I felt contractions, any idea on when I can deliver ?' He told me ' Now, it is only 3 cm. You need to be fully dilated before the baby can come out. ' Oh dear, full dilation is 10cm, how on earth will I reach 10cm ? On top of this, I have to bear with a continous 5 minutes' contraction.

Okay fine ! Since this is the case - mum, hubby and I decided to go makan -la - went to One Stop which was opposite Adventist. We drove there since I can hardly walk even Adventist was just opposite. Again, I felt the ache. Told my mum, I said' Ma, I don't think I can stand, I want to get admitted'. Kakakaka..again 3 of us stupidly drove back. Went back and doc did the necessary admission, however he told me that we need to wait till the water bag breaks & that full dilation has taken place. Okay. They then pushed me to the labour room. I felt scared coupled with the ongoing contractions. I can feel my heart thumping. Oh dear, the day has finally arrived ! So, off I went- changed to the hospital's clothing & straight away, I lie down on the bed. I was alone at that time as I have asked my hubby to go makan. The nurse started to start all the required monitoring tools :- the foetal heartbeat monitoring, gave me some gas (to breathe in) to reduce pain (which does not have any effect also-la) and etc. No epidural yet, as such need to bear with the pain. I looked at the clock and it was already 12pm.



I was in pain, so much pain I felt that if you give me an orange, I can squeeze the juice out..hahahahah. (Note : Mak Teh : You lied about the coffee bean drinking session during contractions....hahahha, You are incredible & I salute you !) So, after much groaning, my water bag broke . Water came gushing out non stop and I was relieved as I do not need to be induced which is far more painful than the labour pain. I have won half the battle and another half to go. Also, when I as in waiting room, I heard first time mothers screaming - that was bad, knowing that my turn will be next....:(

They then wheeled me to another bigger labour room and there, all the horror stories that I had heard of came to reality. But, with the amount of pain that I was experiencing, I can't even imagine on what the doc will be using on me in a while's time. They have the forceps, vacum and etc. So, I asked the nurse again ' Nurse-ah, When are you all going to give me epidural? I cannot stand the pain already !' She said the anaesthetist will be coming in a short while. Waited ...waited...while groaning in pain. At last, he came to the rescue. I was asked to curl up when he gave me the injection. The rest are then history. The moment he injected the fluid in, i felt that I was in ' heaven', all contractions disappeared within spilt second. That was about 2pm when I was given the injection.

For a while, there was no pain and I can even talk to the nurse. Asking her, how do I breathe and push the baby out ? She was too busy, running here and there. But she did teach me a few tricks. At about 3.20pm ( i think so), Ah Dear came and visit me together with the doctor.

Hahaha..the time has come, I am fully dilated so, it is pushing time ! Ah Dear was next to me giving me encouragement to push cos I was screaming initially . Ha ! Ha! Wrong tactic la- The trick was to push as if you are constipating. Trust me, pushing a baby out is different from pushing your stool out. It is alike to a few tonnes of shits that has to come out. Doc and nurse was also asking me too push....haha...i told them ' I am already pushing, what else must I do ? At that point of time, I felt like cursing Alex for not letting me take the option of C-Section, not mentioning the pain he has put me thru. I was cursing, 'Damn Alex, all your fault ! ' Ha ! Ha ! But after that, I realised natural birth was the best cos I healed within a week. No pain and I can breastfeed..hahahah

Anyways, I pushed again with all my might & strength cos they told me they can see the head. Wow ! That was a relieve, at least worth the effort. Now comes the body, again I pushed all the way and my mind is only set to bring him out ! Ta-Da, I felt something jutting out from there, and within seconds, I heard my baby crying.....That jutting out feeling was his body.


Yeah ! I have won the battle..of course feeling proud as a mom and that I had gone thru labour pain and the delivery ordeal. Alex gave me a pat on my shoulder and said, ' Good job, girl ! ' Look we have a baby boy.'Ahhh....that was another moment to capture ! All my pain was worth it when I saw my boy. I guess these are all maternal instincts. He was so adorable and I am glad that I had him with Alex.....A child is definitely a blessing from God !

Doc congratulated me as well and he started doing his business of cutting the cord and pulling out the placenta. All witnessed by Alex...hahaha...What about me ? Well, I just let the doc do whatever he wants whilst I enjoy the view of my 'little one' from my bed ( as the nurse was sucking the mucus out) The sewing and bla bla was done but that was really minor compared to the delivery experience

There you go, baby Matthew entered the 'World of Wonders' at 3.59 pm on 9th of April 2008, Wed. I have to say that no doubt the agony of childbirth is there, it is nothing compared to when a mother hold's her little one's finger, toes, looking at his blinking small eye and adorable smile.....what a view ...Now, who says that giving birth is scary :):) Oops, I guess I got too excited and the whole journal entry on delivery isn't so short after all.

1 comment:

Nel said...

i don't how i landed in your blog...but i am glad i did so
from now onwards, reading your blog is going to be 1 of favorite past times ;)
-http://missnel.blogspot.com/-