Thursday, November 6, 2008

My Rice Bowl

It has been a while since I have updated my blog. Was down with a terrible flu and had just recovered. Hmm..what should I write today? Maybe I should tell you about my working life, colleagues, boss and etc - in other words some story-la about 'My Rice Bowl'.

After graduating from Uni, I thought that it would be good if I can relax a bit, mana tau my 'kiasu' mother said to me, ' Girl, you can also rest while you are searching for a job , so you better go and update your resume and bla bla bla'. So, being a filial daughter, I 'ma' go & update my resume and then had it posted to Jobstreet. Counting days and weeks ; filtering all the unwanted jobs.... at last - I saw a walk in interview advert for an account executive post at a well known MNC co.

Being the blur me, I didn't read thru the job description properly. I was surprised when they told me that I have to do sales rather than accounts. Blek !! No cold outbound calls, but you will get inbound calls and your job is to convert them to your customers !!! Sounds interesting -kan ? It was my turn already ! So, i started to 'yabba yabba' -promoting myself and etc.....and ta da------> I got the job in a week's time. Well, after being there for about 1 1/2 yrs, I got so sick of the job that I told myself that I can't do this ANYMORE ! The mental torture was too great for me to continue. It was just not me ! I hated numbers & quotas ! But the irony is, the money was good :) .


As such,I then made up my mind to apply for an internal transfer as a customer service rep. Aiyoor, in other words - complaints dept la, the place where you get all the $%&# words in the wee hrs of the morning and somemore, you get your 'blessings' half asleep. Anyways, at least the stress was not that great compared to sales. I must admit that the satisfaction & happiness in helping and solving someone's concern is beyond description.




Also, during my tenure in both customer service & sales, I have met great friends (Su Ann, John, Chris, CP, Andrea, Hei Li, Alvin, Ian, Suzie, Andrea Ong, Siew Ling- to name a few) and of course not forgetting my best buddy (Jessica Ho) & bestest sister cum 2nd Ah Dear-(Jo Ann -my ONE & ONLY godsister) ! 3 of us have been thru good as well as bad times - no matter be it personal or work. We have always shared the darkest secrets and I guess that the encouragement given to each other made us pull thru our yrs in Care. I thank them for being there for me when I needed them !!! Love you !!!Muaks! Muaks!



Of course, after being there for so long, I had my promotions and changes in my team. However, the closest team members I have will be Sara, Mak Teh, Kelly Cheah (CP), Yiu Jin and Kelvin (POD 6). We have our laughters and we fought for results - teamwork was essential at that time. Sad to say, each of them had left the team due to constant reorg and the 2 guys had pursued their own career in areas of their interest. I wish them all the best in everything they do.




Not forgetting my bosses. Ha ! Ha ! The dept has gone thru so many changes that I can't recall my bosses..heheh..however, the only boss that had been with us would be Ai Ling. She is the longest serving Care member since the 1st day Care has been created. She had taught me a lot too and I thank her for that. Then, I have Michael, Chris, Woo, Ai Ling again, Sandy and now, Irene. Wow !! Look at the number of bosses I have...hehehhe...but again, without them - there will be no guidance and aim in our team....Well done bosses !!

Hmmm....looking back, it has been about 7 yrs since I left Uni and I am glad to say that I am still with the co after so long. Well, I have gotten my 5 yrs award .....so, do you think that I can stay for a DECADE ??? Sigh....a good question to ponder upon & a long way to find out till it becomes a reality

.......I WONDER .....:)

4 comments:

CT (penang) said...

Adele, wow, I love reading your blog! Haha, whole new side of you that I never realised :D Keep it up, it makes interesting reading

Love,
Andrea.

Adelene Chin @ Miss Chan Kan Cheong said...

Thanks Andrea...hahaha...you can have one too !! :)....

Unknown said...

I like reading ur blog. very nice la u write... good job!
and the pics too - choose la bigger size. some pics, i cant even find u... lol

Adelene Chin @ Miss Chan Kan Cheong said...

Sara : thanks for the visit too !! I will take note of that, now i am putting up bigger size photos..Thanks for the tips !!