Sunday, August 2, 2009

Amazing Grace - A tribute to A Legend, A Storyteller, & A Beloved Father

Journal Entry 52

It has been a sombre quarter this time around....

Not job specific but rather a feeling of devastation and sadness with the death of loved ones to the world,to the society and to a wonderful & lovely daughter respectively.

To the world, we were first shocked to learn about the death of Micheal Jackson On June 25th 2009. He had been a world icon to some of us in the 70's and this has spanned across generations till this very day. His music such as 'We are the World, You are not Alone, Beat It and Thriller (just to name a few) was renowned for bringing people together and indeed had a notable impact on cultures throughout the world. He broke down racial barriers, transformed the art of the music video and paved the way for modern pop music. With this, he is definitely a legend that would be cherished by all.




If this had not been enough, while I was in KL last week, another tragic news awaits the Malaysian society. Yasmin Ahmad ~ a critically-acclaimed multi-award winning film director, writer and scriptwriter passed away. News broke on Thursday that she was in ICU and as I am also a follower of her blog, the last post was on 22nd of July, a day before she suffered a stroke and remain motionless. Malaysians prayed hard for her to pass thru this, but fate has it's own course and she succumbed to her injury on July 25th. My heart goes out to her....I guess I shall missed all of her upcoming Petronas adverts, especially with Raya around the corner.




As the society mourns the death of a storyteller, I got another news this week, from my god sis, Jo that her dad had just passed away.In fact, it did not really came as a surprise to us as the doc had already alarmed us that Uncle Dom was at a critical stage last Tuesday. 'A few more days left' - is what the doc told Jo....I knew that Jo was prepared for this but to face it ~ is somehow or rather different. This was exactly the same emotion I had when my aunt was diagnosed with leukemia 3 yrs back. She only lived for 4 months - May God bless her soul...

We were with her during her dad's battle with cancer and no doubt she does look calm and cheerful at times when she was with us, I know that deep inside her heart, she was thinking about her dad. But despite all that, she had handled the situation whole heartedly without any regrets and Uncle Dom, with all the support given by his family - continued the passion for living till his very last breath.

Jo had done what she had wanted to do with her dad -have meaningful conversations about daily stuff, long hugs with quiet moments and lots of laughter.The funeral took place today, and we (Jess, Andrea and Chris) were there to provide a shoulder to cry on. I can't fight back my tears when I saw Aunty and Jo crying but I guess, it is a privilege for them to cry, for they had lost someone dear to them - Aunty -being his life companion and for Jo, a beloved father

As for Jo, she had fulfilled her role as a wonderful daughter for her beloved father, for being there when he needs her. No doubt, he is gone now, but the memories shared together will always be cherished forever !

With this post, I leave you with Amazing Grace as a tribute

~ to the loss of a great singer to the world
~ to a loss of a wonderful and talented storyteller whose work crosses cross-cultural barriers &
~ a beloved father to a wonderful and loving family


~Antoine de Saint-Exupery~
He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present than the living man.


May God bless their soul ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, who would imagine that someone would coerce voters and supporters?!? No, that would never happen

Sheron


Cash Online Get Easy cash at your door step