Saturday, May 12, 2012

Weekend Trials:- Shumai aka Pork & Prawns Dumpling

Journal Entry 149

Shumai  had always been my all time favourite dim-sum dish. They are just so delicious that each time I go to any Chinese restaurants - it is definitely a must order dish for me and even the hubby is aware of my craze over shumai.

It never strike me that this dish can be homemade till I came across my cousin's post via Facebook. Spoke to her and was advised that it was a simple meal to make. All we need were some wanton wrappers and for the fillings - the main ingredients were mainly pork/prawns mixed together. Sounds easy right ? Not really a daunting task though. On top of this, it is advisable to add some water chesnuts /turnip for sweetness and some ebiko or prawn roe as toppings for garnishing.

To start off the dish, I prepared the required ingredients first and again, switched on to You Tube to see the full demo on shiumai making. Followed step by step till I get the below results :). One thing though, it is best to add the prawn roe last or else it will be over cooked - silly me :(.

Note : For the filling, combine prawn, meat, salt, sugar, sesame oil, soy sauce and chicken stock and mixed well before wrapping it.

Before steaming the dumplings


Wrapped Dumplings

 After steaming

Steamed Shiu Mai

The hubby's verdict : The meat was a bit too hard  and somehow or rather he can't taste the overall texture. I guess I might have over-steamed it  :(. It was a good try though :)


No comments: